Anemia is a condition in which concentration of red blood cells or hemoglobin (the oxygen carrying pigment) is below normal. Hemoglobin concentration in blood below the lower limit of the normal range for the age and sex of the individual. Check out the causes and treatment of anemia in homeopathy.
In adults, the lower extreme of the normal hemoglobin is taken a 13.0 g/dl for males and 11.5 g/dl for females.
This reduction of blood cells may be caused by blood loss, increased destruction or decreased production.
Causes of anemia
Mainly there are three causes of anemia –
- due to increase blood loss
- due to impaired red cell formation
- due to increased red cell destruction
Symptoms of anemia
Symptoms mainly include –
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid breathing
- Rapid heart rate
- Lack of vital energy
- Chest pain
- Pale appearance
- Low blood pressure
- Coldness of the skin surface
- Heart murmurs
- Spleenomegaly may also be present with anemia
Signs of anemia
- Pallor – pallor is the most common and characteristic sign which may be seen in the conjunctiva and skin.
- Central nervous system – there may be symptoms like faintness, giddiness, headache, tinnitus, drowsiness, numbness and tingling sensations of the hands and feet.
- Cardiovascular system – include tachycardia, collapsing pulse, cardiomegaly, Dyspnea on exertion and congestive heart failure in some elderly patients.
- Ocular manifestations – retinal hemorrhage may occur if there is associated with bleeding diathesis.
- Reproductive system – menstrual disturbances like amenorrhea, and menorrhagia and loss of libido may occur.
- Renal system – mild proteinuria and impaired functioning of kidney may occur in severe type of anemia.
- Gastrointestinal system – anorexia, flatulence, nausea, constipation and weight loss may occur.
As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several remedies are available to treat that can be selected on the basis of cause, sensations and modalities of the complaints. There are following remedies which are helpful in the treatment of anemia.
This drug produces a condition of profound anemia, with dropsy, great debility, frequent fainting, dyspnea, weak heart, vomiting, profuse micturition and sweat. Hemorrhage from any part.
Especially indicated in pale, lean people, with lax, flabby muscles. Wasting and debility. Face pale, waxy, emaciated.
An anemic, relaxed conditions, especially in females, is portrayed by this remedy. The patient is tired all the time, and suffer from leucorrhea and rectal distress, etc. Marked anemia in chlorotic girls and pregnant women.
Power and energy weakened. Confused feelings, cannot concentrate. Fainting, with vertigo. Leucorrhea due to weakness and anemia.
Anemic and chlorotic conditions. Gastrointestinal and genitourinary tracts affected, inducing secondary anemia and various reflexes. Sleepiness, moroseness and lassitude.
Best adapted to young weak people, anemic and chlorotic, with pseudo-plethora, who flushes easily; cold extremities, oversensitiveness; worse after any active effort. Weakness merely from speaking or walking, though looks strong.
Pallor of skin, mucous membrane, face alternating with flushes. Orgasms of blood to the face, chest, head, lungs, etc. Irregular distribution of blood.
The typical ferr. P. patient is not full blooded and robust, but nervous, sensitive, anemic with false plethora and easy flushing. Prostration is marked, face more active. Restless and sleepless. Anxious dreams. Night sweats of anemia.
It can be given in 1st stage of any kind of fever. Better, cold applications.
It causes anemia with destruction of the red corpuscles. Chlorotic patients with general anemia and paralytic symptoms are often benefitted by this drug. Every part of body feels sore when touched.
Derangements of menstruation, amenorrhea; menses too early and scanty, in anemic subjects, worse at menstrual period or at menopause.
A great remedy for certain forms of intermittent fever, anemia, chlorosis, several disturbances of the alimentary tract. Great debility; maximum weakness felt in the morning in bed.
Anemic headache in school girls; nervous, discouraged, broken down. Chronic headache, semi-lateral, congestive, from sunrise to sunset, with a pale face, nausea, vomiting; periodical from eye strain; menstrual.
It is interfaced with rapid reduction in the number of red blood corpuscles; hence pallor, anemia. Excessive and rapid emaciation. Face pale and cachetic. A great drug for general sclerotic conditions. Slow perception; loss of memory, anemia.
This produces an anemic conditions, coldness, numbness. A useful remedy for old people with shriveled skin, thin, scrawny old women. Debility, anxiety, emaciation, though appetite and thirst may be excessive. Sec. decreases the flow of pancreatic juice by raising the blood pressure (Hinsdale).
Marked anemia with profound prostration. It causes destruction and a decrease in the number of the red blood corpuscles. Pale lips.
It is especially adapted to anemic, debilitated person. Frequent attacks of palpitation in anemic person. Headache as if band around the head.
How do I manage anemia?
While some types of anemia are short-term and mild, others can last throughout a lifetime. There are several ways to help manage anemia, including:
- Following a healthy diet.
- Drinking enough water to stay hydrated.
- Exercising regularly. However, if you have been weak, you should begin exercising cautiously. Check with your healthcare provider about ways to exercise safely.
- Avoiding exposure to chemicals that set off anemia.
- Washing your hands often to avoid infection.
- Taking good care of your teeth and going to the dentist regularly.
- Talking to your doctor about any changing symptoms.
- Keeping track of your symptoms by writing them down.
For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person. There indications are brief and in no way complete. The remedy selection should be based after a detail consultation, on the basis of symptom-similarity and individualization.
Of course it’s important to say that you should always consult your physician in case of serious illness or injury.